W3 Avatar_g2

5526 – GWR – 2-6-2T

5526 – GWR – 2-6-2T
5526 was built at Swindon Works in May 1928 and cost the princely sum of £3,602 which included £737 for the boiler. It was first based at St.Blazey Shed, and it was during this period that it was out-based at Bodmin for two months for the working of the branch to Weybridge. In November 1929 the engine was transferred to Exeter where it remained for two years. preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com

Medstead and Four Marks Station

The station was the latecomer amongst the stations on the Mid Hants line from Alton to Winchester, opening three years after the other stations in 1868, when it was opened as 'Medstead' (The 'Four Marks' was added in 1937 as the latter settlement grew thanks to the railway). As best as I know the station was initially installed for timetabling reasons to provide a loop between Ropley and Alton utilising the only level track on that stretch of line. At this time there was a single siding into a small goods shed (set back from the station and still extant) served by a headshunt from the up line. www.rmweb.co.uk

Medstead and Four Marks Station


Medstead and Four Marks Station


30925 Cheltenham

30925 Cheltenham Coming In Backwards


30925 Cheltenham
The SR V class, more commonly known as the Schools class, is a class of steam locomotive designed by Richard Maunsell for the Southern Railway. The class was a cut down version of his Lord Nelson class but also incorporated components from Urie and Maunsell's LSWR/SR King Arthur class. It was the last locomotive in Britain to be designed with a 4-4-0 wheel arrangement, and was the most powerful class of 4-4-0 ever produced in Europe. All 40 of the class were named after English public schools, and were designed to provide a powerful class of intermediate express passenger locomotive on semi-fast services for lines which could cope with high axle loads but some of which had short turntables. en.wikipedia.org/a>


Ropley railway station is a railway station in Ropley, Hampshire, England, which opened in 1865 and reopened in 1977 after four years' closure, to be served by steam and select diesel trains on the Watercress Line which shares its terminus at Alton railway station along with the more major Alton Line.

The station was opened by the Mid-Hants (Alton Lines) Railway (MHR) on 2 October 1865. The MHR was leased to the London and South Western Railway (LSWR) in August 1880, which fully absorbed the MHR in June 1884. The LSWR amalgamated with other railways to form the Southern Railway on 1 January 1923.

he station was destaffed in 1967 and closed by British Rail on 5 February 1973.


It ended its days working in South Wales, before withdrawal in 1965 and being sent to Barry scrapyard having completed 427,707 miles whilst in service. It was bought by the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway (KWVR) in 1981 for spares for 5775. It (or what was left of it) was then bought privately in 1987 by Elaine and Ray Treadwell and extensively restored, latterly at the Flour Mill workshop in the Forest of Dean. After restoration was completed in 2001, 4612 was moved to the Bodmin and Wenford Railway, which had purchased it, and returned to service in GWR green livery in 2013 following a ten-year overhaul. preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com

30506 LSWR S15 class 4-6-0

30506 LSWR S15 class 4-6-0
The LSWR S15 class was a British 2-cylinder 4-6-0 freight steam locomotive designed by Robert W. Urie, based on his H15 class and N15 class locomotives. The class had a complex build history, spanning several years of construction from 1920 to 1936. The first examples were constructed for the London and South Western Railway (LSWR), where they hauled freight trains to the south coast ports and further west to Exeter, as well as occasional passenger work in conjunction with their larger-wheeled N15 class counterparts. en.wikipedia.org

Works No 1788 Kilmersdon 0-4-0ST


53808 7F 2-8-0


Alton Station


Background Conversation


British Rail Class 08

British Rail Class 08

Contact Me

Powered by w3.css